Sunday, February 15, 2015

Compassionate Serving

Where has the time gone?!!  I see my last post was last year on this weekend!  It was all about One Winter's Night and the impact that the children had on me!  Just to update that!  Edward one of the children that I wrote about and he participated this year again with his own box!  He raised $1000 and was so proud, as well he should be!  It is awesome to see a child with such compassion to those who struggle in life. 

Edward and I share that compassion.  And it was passed down to me through my parents and grandparents.  It has to come from the inside and following through on your gut instincts.  I was always raised to help those who may need a helping hand.  I will never forget the evening after a Little League game when my dad stepped in to stop a fight between teenagers.  It was scary in my young mind, but he was so brave to me!  And he continued to show that compassion when even in the '60s he would hire men who'd just came out of jail and needed a job. We'd make sure that we visited elderly persons from our church. There were so many examples that my parents gave me that I need to follow their examples in my life.

Missions work always interested me.  As a child we would learn about different places around the world where they were not as privileged as us, and how we can help them with money or bandage rolls or shoe boxes with school supplies. I felt compelled to help them.  Even in our own communities our mission work can happen.  I have always supported empty tomb by delivering groceries to those in need. Staying in a box or up all night to support the homeless was a great way to help. Serving on City Council and observing where our City has needs then being able to give assistance has been awesome for me!  It's one of the best ways I know to serve others!

Being able to be that voice for those who aren't always heard is the most exciting thing for me!  I feel that is one of the gifts that I have been given, not only at this point in time but for my whole life. I feel that it isn't something that you can learn, but something that is inside of you!  I have seen that in me and now I have seen that in Edward!

The future looks bright with children like Edward paying it forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment